Day Camp Educator (Full-time/Seasonal)
The Cayuga Nature Center is currently seeking individuals with experience working in a camp setting and exhibit a passion for the outdoors to join our dynamic crew of environmental educators.
Cayuga Nature Center offers 9 weeks of day camp programming from June 26th to August 25th. Camp educators are responsible for the welfare of a group of 8 -12 children and providing them with quality outdoor and educational opportunities. We believe that the Cayuga Nature Center summer camp is truly different. Since 1986, our campers have been offered a wide range of outdoor activities including daily hikes, fishing skills, and wildlife tracking. In addition, we institute academic activities and educational programs led by community professionals. We believe this helps minimize the effect of summer learning loss and provides a unique summer experience for our campers. With a hundred acres of forest, fields, and streams acting as a living classroom, the possibilities of educational exploration and discovery are unparalleled in our region. We believe the character and integrity of our educators to be a crucial influence on our campers, inspiring continued conservation for the future of our natural world.
To learn more about our camp, or view our program themes and offerings, please visit: www.priweb.org/summercamp
Essential Job Functions
- Lead fun, engaging, educational activities for campers of all ages, abilities and backgrounds
- Responsible for the physical and emotional well-being of all camp participants
- Be flexible and creative in applying age appropriate programming for campers
- Be able to react immediately and appropriately to emergency situations, following the camp's Emergency Safety Plan.
- Maintain ongoing communication with camp administrative staff
- Clean and organize camp materials and spaces within the center
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs, stand and hike for long periods of time.
- Over 18 years of age
- Mature judgment and the ability to safely supervise campers
- Outgoing personality and ability to work with people of all ages
- Background or interest in natural history, science, biology, ecology, or education
- Ability to work independently or as a team player
- * Certifications in First Aid, CPR, or lifeguarding are preferred but not required. (Training in CPR and First Aid may be offered prior to camp opening.)
Along with environmental educators for our nature-based day camp program, we are also seeking applicants who specialize in:
- Preschool-age care
- Archery instruction (prior experience necessary)
- Art instruction
- Live animal husbandry and handling
$10 / hour starting rate (varies with qualifications and certifications)
To apply, please send a cover letter, a resume and a list of references to:
Environmental Education Manager / Camp Director
Cayuga Nature Center
1420 Taughannock Blvd.
Ithaca, NY 14850
Manager of Marketing and Communications
- Assist with marketing (and development, to a lesser extent) strategy and content creation
- Manage distribution lists for email, press releases, event calendars and other marketing campaigns
- Monitor marketing budget/expenses
- Keep promotional materials ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt, identifying needs in advance, and having materials ready in a timely manner.
- Monitor community non-profit & tourism marketing trends
- Coordinate with other PRI staff as leader of a marketing “team” to make sure that marketing is performed accurately and well.
- Ensure that the brand is represented appropriately across all activities and programs
- Tweak and evolve the brand as needed
- Design, or coordinate/oversee the design, of all PRI marketing materials, including:
- Rack cards
- Social media banners
- Website graphics
- Annual Report
- Coordinate the creation and editing of various marketing communications, including print, websites, email, social media, radio, event calendars, and more
- Keep a calendar of publication deadlines, to ensure that information and graphics are ready in a timely manner
- Publish regular articles in the Ithaca Journal Go! Publication, and plan/produce regular press releases
Development & Community Impact
- Assist as needed with fundraising and community impact initiatives, primarily in designing/producing fundraising communications and assisting with communications efforts.
- Plan exhibit openings
- Assist in planning fundraising events, board meetings, and other events as needed
- Graphic design for marketing events experience
- Experience advertising programs and events
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2+ years of marketing design and coordination preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent writing, editing and proofing abilities
- Self-motivated and resourceful with the ability to work independently
- Strong project management skills and the ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills: Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with members, vendors, volunteers and supporters
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Nonprofit experience a plus, as is a love of nature and science.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org