The figure below shows the distribution of samples containing the inarticulate brachiopod Craniops.
Craniops is an uncommon inarticulate brachiopod in the MRV strata.
- Craniops Hall, 1859 [*Orbicula? squamiformis Hall, 1859] [=Pholidops Hall, 1859]
- Attached by cementation of apical region of pedicle valve, holoperipheral growth, apices posterior of center, muscle field in both valves bounded anteriorly by low platform.
M. Ord. - L. Carb., North and South America, Europe, Asia
- Family Craniopsidae Williams, 1963
- Shell calcareous, impunctate, biconvex, elliptical to linguloid in outline, with strong concentric ornament, which may be lamellose, growth holoperipheral or mixoperipheral. Apparently lacking a pedicle, attached by cementation or free. Central muscle scars strongly developed, usually on low solid platform. Smooth limbus present in both valves.
M. Ord. - L. Carb.
- Order Lingulida Waagen, 1885
Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, H273.